Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Scrapbook Coasters - Pin Test - SUCCESS



I knew we were going to get rain that day....I guess I just didn't realize how much. This was pretty much my view all day:
Flood Warning Alerts came across my phone every hour and the view from my window confirmed the Maine was getting a Monsoon! Since we were trapped, quite literally, in the house, I decided to take the opportunity to test out one of the crafty pins I had saved away. Today, I made scrapbook paper coasters and I love them! 
Flood
I started off gathering all of the material I needed:
  • Scrapbook Paper (48 sheets pack regularly $5.99, 50% off at Hobby Lobby)
  • Tiles (4"x 4" color of your choice) Cost: .05 cents each at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore or .32 cents each at Home Depot)
  • Modge Podge (My homemade stuff worked great! I will post the instructions for that another time.)
  • Small Foam Poly Brush
  • A  Brayer (rubber roller used in decoupage)
  • Felt (8x10 sheets at Hobby Lobby .25 cents each)
  • Hot Glue
  • Waterproof Acrylic Spray
Coaster Supply Collage
  1. Cut scrapbook paper into 4"x 4" squares. For the straightest lines and measurement accuracy, I prefer to use a paper-cutter. Also, don't forget to save the paper scraps. They make great embellishments on future scrapbook pages.
  2. Make sure tile surface area is clean and dry. This step is important to prevent creases, bumps and tears in scrapbook paper as you adhere it to the tile.
  3. Using the foam poly brush, apply a thin coat of Modge Podge covering the entire top surface of the tile. If you use too much, the paper can become saturated and tear easily.
  4. Apply the 4"x 4" paper to the tile, leaving an even edge of tile showing on each side. If after you place the paper, the sides are too uneven, you can carefully peel back the paper and reapply. This must be done before the Modge Podge starts drying.
  5. Use the Brayer and roll over the paper to smooth. Rolling in many different directions, paying close attention to the sides and corners will ensure proper adhesion. You can also use a small squeegee or your finger (if clean) to smooth down the corners and edges. I, personally, run my finger along the corner and edges after using the Brayer roller.
  6. Coaster Process CollageAllow them to dry for 10-15 minutes. This is a great opportunity for clean-up, prepare 1"x 1" felt pieces, or make yourself another cup of coffee.
  7. Using a hot glue gun, adhere 1"x 1" (approximate measurement) felt pieces to the 4 corners on the back side of the tile and allow to dry. Drying will take less than 5 minutes. This step is to prevent the coaster tile from scratching the surfaces it is used on.
  8. Spray generously with waterproof acrylic sealer (two coats) and allow to dry. Do this in an open, well ventilated space. I put the table in front of an open window and set up a fan to blow the fumes out of the window. Directions also indicate to wait 10-15 minutes in between coats. After final coat, I allow a couple of hours to dry in front of the window prior to stacking them.
  9. ENJOY! Keep a set for yourself, give as a gift, or sell at your local craft fairs.
Thank you for reading my post. I hope you love your new home-made coasters as much as I love mine! Here is a sneak peek at some of my upcoming projects:
  • Restoration of a Candy Skull MugUpcoming Projects
  • Make It Yourself Modge Podge
  • Easy DIY Pallet Shelf

No comments:

Post a Comment